Connect with us

Sports

EPL: West Ham stuns Arsenal at Emirates

Published

on

The first major upset of the English Premier League season saw West Ham beat Arsenal for the first time in eight years with a 2-0 victory at the Emirates Stadium Sunday.

The EPL is renowned for its competitive matches but few would have foreseen an opening fixture reverse for Arsene Wenger’s team after its FA Community Shield win over Chelsea last weekend.

Former Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech had an EPL debut to forget for the Gunners, making errors for both the West Ham goals.

First, he made an ill-judged challenge to concede a free kick as Dimitri Payet found Cheikhou Kouyate for the opener for the visitors on 43 minutes.

The second on the hour mark saw the Czech international beaten at his near post by Mauro Zarate.

Wenger sent on Theo Walcott and Chile’s Alexis Sanchez as late substitutes, but Arsenal was unable to break down a stubborn West Ham defense.

The closest it had come to scoring was a first half deflected effort from Aaron Ramsey, which hit the crossbar.

It was a famous victory for West Ham’s new manager Slaven Bilic and 16-year-old midfielder Reece Oxford, who showed composure beyond his teenage years until substituted late on.

West Ham had suffered an ignominious Europa League defeat to Romanian side Astra Giurgiu in midweek, but rose to the occasion against a team many are tipping to win the title.

Wenger said the defeat was typical of the nature of the English top-flight and believes his side will bounce back quickly.

“You are never surprised in the Premier League. It is better if we don’t talk too much and continue to work hard,” he told Sky Sports.

“The players were maybe too nervous and put too much pressure on themselves.

“Today we have been hurt mentally and it is a good opportunity to respond,” he added.

Bilic could not have been more pleased with the outcome. “It’s great start for us against a team that are title contenders.

“This is very special. I’m very proud of the second half performance.”

Sunday’s other early kick off in the EPL saw an entertaining 2-2 draw for Newcastle at home to Southampton.

Newcastle looked set to give new manager Steve McClaren a winning start after goals from Dutch midfielder Giorginio Wijnaldum and Papiss Cisse had given it a 2-1 lead following Graziano Pelle opener for the Saints.

But Saints substitute Shane Long headed in a 79th-minute equalizer to spoil McClaren’s afternoon.

Later Sunday, Liverpool made a fine start to its campaign with a 1-0 win at Stoke, revenge for a 6-1 drubbing at the Britannia Stadium at the back end of last season.

The game looked to be heading for a goalless draw until Brazil midfielder Philippe Coutinho curled home a stunning 30-meter strike into the top corner of the Stoke net.

Manchester City travels to West Bromwich Albion Monday evening to complete the first round of EPL action.

© 2015, . All rights reserved.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sports

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she’s too ‘physical’ to compete against biological females

Published

on

The Australian Football Women’s League has denied an application of a transgender soccer player because she’s too ‘physical’ to compete against biological females.

Hannah Mouncey, 27, a former member of the Australian men’s handball team, started “transitioning” in 2015 and ever since then she has participated in other Australian Football competitions against bio women.

She recently applied for the 2018 AFLW draft but her application was rejected, denying her the chance to take part in next year’s Australian rules football professional women’s league.

In its decision, the subcommittee said Mouncey, would have “an unreasonable advantage” over the smaller

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she

“The AFL has made a decision that the physical disparity between Hannah and other AFLW players is significant, in that it would have an effect on the AFLW competition and give rise to an unreasonable advantage,” an AFL statement read.

The subcommittee added: “This decision solely relates to Ms. Mouncey’s nomination for the 2018 AFLW draft and participation in the 2018 AFLW competition. Ms. Mouncey may nominate for future AFLW drafts and for registration in other Australian Football competitions.”

Reacting after her application was rejected, Mouncey said she was “extremely disappointed”.

“While I am extremely disappointed with the AFL’s decision regarding my participation in Wednesday’s AFLW draft, I thank them for the genuine way in which they approached my situation.

“Despite not being able to take part in the draft, the AFL has given me the all clear to play for Ainslie next year in the AFL Canberra competition for which I am very grateful and look forward to doing in 2018, before hopefully being able to nominate for next year’s draft”.

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she

The AFL Players Association (AFLPA) are also not happy with AFL and have accused them of lacking “clear guidelines for transgender players”.

Its statement added: “No athlete should face such confusion around their eligibility for an elite competition just days out from a draft.”

According to BBC, Mouncey, who is 6ft 2in and weighs 15st 8lb, has played eight matches and kicked 17 goals for Ainslie in the Canberra Women’s League.

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Sports

US Olympic gymnast, McKayla Maroney says team doctor started molesting her when she was 13

Published

on

US Olympic gold winning gymnast, McKayla Maroney has alleged that she was molested by a former USA Gymnastics team doctor as she adds her voice to the #MeToo movement on social media where people are sharing experiences of sexual harassment and assault.

 

In a statement released on her Twitter page today, the 21 year old athlete alleged she was molested for years by former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar, who is currently awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to federal child pornography charges.

 

“People should know that this is not just happening in Hollywood,” she wrote, in reference to the allegations about producer Harvey Weinstein. “It started when I was 13 years old, and it didn’t end until I left the sport. I had a dream to go to the Olympics, and the things that I had to endure to get there were unnecessary and disgusting.”

 

Maroney ended her involvement with the sport in 2016

 

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Sports

Leicester City sack manager, Craig Shakespeare

Published

on

Leicester City Football Club has parted ways with its first team manager, Craig Shakespeare.

 

According to the club, Michael Appleton will be in charge of the First Team as Caretaker Manager for Saturday’s Premier League trip to Swansea City, supported by First Team Coaches Mike Stowell and Adam Sadler.

 

Leicester City Vice Chairman, Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said: “Craig has been a great servant to Leicester City during his spells as an Assistant Manager and since taking over as Manager in challenging circumstances in February. His dedication to the Club and to his work has been absolute and the contribution he made to the most successful period in Leicester City history is considerable. However, our early promise under Craig’s management has not been consistently evident in the months since and the Board feels that, regrettably, a change is necessary to keep the Club moving forward consistent with the long-term expectations of our supporters, Board and owners”. 

 

He continued to say, “Craig is and will remain a very popular, respected figure at Leicester City and will be welcome back at King Power Stadium in future, both professionally and as a friend of the Club.”  

 

The Club will now begin the process of identifying and appointing its next First Team Manager and will make no further comment on the process until the appropriate time.

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Advertisement


“Beautiful Ones (Acoustic)” from Beautiful Ones (Acoustic) – Single by Hurts. Released: 2017. Track 1 of 1. Genre: Pop.

Trending