Connect with us

News

Military Jet Mistakenly Strikes IDP Camp, Presidency Reacts.

Ayandola Ayanleke

Published

on


Many feared dead after a military plane mistakenly dropped a bomb inside the Rann IDP camp in Borno State.

The Rann IDP camp in Kala-balge Local Government Area caters for thousands of persons displaced by Boko Haram.

Brigadier General Rabe Abubakar who is the spokesperson of the army confirmed the tragic incident and said the military deeply regretted the error.

According to him, the military got intelligence report of Boko Haram and deployed ground and air troops and that it was the air troop that mistakenly dropped bomb on the IDP camp.

The Borno state government has sent a message to all hospitals in Maiduguri to be prepared to receive and treat injured people.

The President has also reacted to the military faux pas.

In a series of tweets, President Buhari commiserated with the victims and pledged the Federal Government support in handling the situation.

“I received with regret news that the Air Force, working to mop up Boko Haram insurgents, accidentally bombed a civilian community in Rann, Borno State.”

“I sympathise with the families of the dead, and with the injured, and the Government and people of Borno State.”

“The Federal Government will fully support the Borno State Government in dealing with the situation and attending to the victims.”

© 2017, Ayandola Ayanleke. All rights reserved.

Ayandola Ayanleke is a reporter for Premium Herald. She focuses on political and entertainment news. Ayandola studied History and Strategic Studies in the University of Lagos. She has been a contributor with Premium Herald for over 2 years now.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Tunisia jails couple for public indecency” after they were caught naked in their car

Published

on

A couple have been sentenced to several months in prison in Tunisia after they were caught naked in their car.

Nassim Ouadi, a 33-year-old French-Algerian, and his 44-year-old Tunisian girlfriend were sentenced on Wednesday by a judge at the Carthage district court, having been convicted of public indecency, intoxication and insulting a public official.

According to their lawyer, Ghazi Mrabet, the couple were driving last Friday when they pulled over in Gammarth, a suburb of the capital, Tunis, to discuss the route.

“After two minutes, a police car arrived, and asked the couple for their IDs,” the lawyer said in a statement posted on Facebook.

The woman handed over her ID from her handbag, but Ouadi, who does not speak any Arabic, went to get his passport from his suitcase, which was in the boot of the car.

“The policemen shouted at him, insulted him and forced him to the ground. He handed over his passport, and they then searched his luggage and then the car, even under the carpets,” the lawyer added.

The couple were then taken to a police station, but after 20 minutes were told they could go home. A police officer warned them, however, that the episode would not end there.

“The Franco-Algerian, believing himself in France or in a film, then told the police: ‘You think it will stop there? I want your names and your numbers. I intend to speak to my embassy. And that’s when your lives will change,’” Mrabet’s Facebook statement continued.

Ouadi was then accused of contempt of a public official, indecent assault and refusal to obey the police – charges often levelled against protesters in Tunisia, or against couples publicly displaying affection.

But the couple’s arrest last week, and subsequent sentencing, has drawn widespread outrage on social media, as reports began to emerge that the couple were first approached by police as they were kissing.

According to the police, they were found “in an indecent position”.

The man was handed four months in prison for “public indecency” and “refusing to obey the police”, with the woman given a two-month sentence on the first charge only.

A spokesperson for the public prosecutor’s office, Sofiene Sliti told AFP.”It’s an independent decision. What has been reported nationally and internationally is wrong,  they weren’t arrested for a kiss, the couple was naked,” he added.

At the hearing Wednesday, the woman collapsed into tears when the court president read a police description saying a sexual act was in process when the couple were stopped on October 1 in a suburb of Tunis.

The woman said that her friend had simply taken her into his arms when the plainclothes police stopped them and made them get out of the car.

The Frenchman confirmed to the judge that he had tried to film the police to make a complaint about their behaviour.

A dozen defence lawyers had been arguing for an acquittal for the couple. The majority of the lawyers were working for free on the case, which has triggered an uproar in Tunisia over morality campaigns and police behaviour.

The defence pointed to numerous flaws in the case, including hearings in Arabic which the Frenchman, who is of Algerian origin, did not understand.

“It is normal that he reacts badly when his fundamental rights were being violated,” said lawyer Ghazi Mrabet, whose client is accused of intimidating police.

He pointed to what he said was “bad faith” on the part of the police, who he said were looking for revenge after being implicated over their handling of the case.

“This case highlights key problems with the judicial system and the police. Abuse of powers… lack of respect for citizens and their rights, attacks on individual liberty,” said former deputy Nadia Chaabane, who is a member of a group to support the couple.

“The problem is that we have judges now who accept all these breaches and procedural problems,” she said before the judgement.

Source: The Jakarta Post

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

News

Barack Obama picks Nigerian artist, Kehinde Wiley to paint his official presidential portrait

Published

on

Former US president Barack Obama has selected New-York based artist, Kehinde Wiley, to paint his official portrait.

Following a tradition that started with George H. Bush, the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery commissions an artist to create a portrait of the president and the first lady after their tenure. Obama’s predecessors have preferred to sit for 90-year old portrait artist Everett Raymond Kinstler, who has painted eight US presidents, but Obama chose to go with Kehinde. The Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery made the announcement yesterday.

Barack Obama picks Nigerian artist, Kehinde Wiley to paint his official presidential portrait

Former first lady Michelle Obama has chosen Baltimore-based painter Amy Sherald to paint her portrait. Kehinde Wiley and Amy Sherald will be the first black artists to create official presidential portraits for the Smithsonian.

Kehinde Wiley is known for lush, larger-than-life portraits that overlay black street culture with European classical motifs. He is believed to be an exciting choice for the presidential portrait. Throughout his career, Kehinde has become renowned for creating portraits of African American men, including the Notorious B.I.G., LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, Ice T, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Michael Jackson, and more.

Barack Obama picks Nigerian artist, Kehinde Wiley to paint his official presidential portrait

Kehinde was born to a Nigerian dad and an African-American mom. He did not grow up with his father, so at the age of 20, he traveled to Nigeria to explore his roots and meet him.

Kehinde’s mother supported his interest in art and enrolled him in after-school art classes when he was a child. He earned his BFA from the San Francisco Art Institute in 1999 and his MFA from Yale University, School of Art in 2001.

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

News

Trump to stop paying Obamacare subsidies for the poor

Published

on

<img src="http://www.premiumherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/59e0c74f96a3c-300×261.png" alt="" width="300" height="261" class="alignnone size-medium wp-image-34677"
President Donald Trump plans to end a key set of Obamacare subsidies that helped lower-income Americans pay for health care.

The White House made it known that the Trump Administration would end the Affordable Care Act's cost-sharing reduction payments. The Act particularly helps people earning between 100 percent and 250 percent of the poverty level pay for the insurance and health care they get.

The dramatic move by the Trump administration raises questions about the law's future. Health care experts have warned that not paying the subsidies could send the health insurance exchanges into turmoil.

The payments, which started under the Obama administration, had been continued by President Trump but on Thursday the White House said since there was no appropriation for it, "the Government cannot lawfully make the cost-sharing reduction payments."

The White House said in a statement: "The bailout of insurance companies through these unlawful payments is yet another example of how the previous administration abused taxpayer dollars and skirted the law to prop up a broken system. Congress needs to repeal and replace the disastrous Obamacare law and provide real relief to the American people."

The announcement is part of Trump's aggressive push to dismantle aspects of Obama's signature health law after several failed attempts by Congress to repeal it earlier this year. In a series of tweets Friday morning, Trump called on Democrats to reach out to him to "fix" the law, which he called a "broken mess."

Trump tweeted: "The Democrats ObamaCare is imploding. Massive subsidy payments to their pet insurance companies has stopped. Dems should call me to fix!"

The news was not received well by Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill. In a joint statement, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Minority Leader Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., called the move “a spiteful act of vast, pointless sabotage.”

The leaders said in a statement: “Sadly, instead of working to lower health costs for Americans, it seems President Trump will singlehandedly hike Americans’ health premiums. Make no mistake about it, Trump will try to blame the Affordable Care Act, but this will fall on his back and he will pay the price for it.”

But GOP Rep. Jim Jordan, a member of the House Freedom Caucus, defended the President’s decision to CNN’s Chris Cuomo on CNN’s “New Day” Friday morning.

“These (cost sharing reduction) payments are in fact illegal. The President said he is no longer going to engage in making these payments, so let’s move forward and do what we should have done a long time ago,” he said, later adding, “Obamacare is a mess and we need to replace the whole thing, repeal the whole thing.”

In a statement issued shortly after Thursday’s announcement, House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisc., said the decision “preserves a monumental affirmation of Congress’s authority and the separation of powers.”

“Obamacare has proven itself to be a fatally flawed law, and the House will continue to work with Trump administration to provide the American people a better system,” Ryan said.

© 2017, Sunday Emmanuel. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Advertisement


“Beautiful Ones (Acoustic)” from Beautiful Ones (Acoustic) – Single by Hurts. Released: 2017. Track 1 of 1. Genre: Pop.

Trending