Connect with us

Sports

Aaron Hernandez hangs himself in prison

Published

on

Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez killed himself in his prison cell early Wednesday while serving a life sentence for a 2013 murder without the possibility of parole, authorities said.

Corrections officers found him at about 3:05 a.m. hanging by a bed sheet attached to a window at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Mass., where he tried to block his door by jamming it with various items, officials said.

They tried lifesaving techniques on the 27-year-old former Pro Bowler before taking him to UMass Memorial-HealthAlliance Hospital in Leominster, where he was pronounced dead about an hour later.

He was not on suicide watch at the general-population unit in the maximum-security prison because there had been no indications he planned on hurting himself, DOC spokesman Christopher Fallon told The Boston Globe.

“If he had made any kind of statement, he would have not been in that unit,” Fallon said, adding that investigators have not found anything resembling a suicide note in his Unit G-2 cell.

Hernandez was serving a sentence of life without parole after being convicted in 2015 of killing of Odin Lloyd, a semi-pro football player who was dating the sister of his fiancee.

Prosecutors said last week there was no chance Hernandez would ever be a free man again.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James said in a statement that the team was aware of the death of their former All-Star, “but I don’t anticipate that we will be commenting today.”

The former tight end’s suicide marked the end of his spectacular fall from grace as a premier athlete, and came on the same day that President Trump plans to host his former teammates at the White House for winning Super Bowl LI.

It also came just five days after Hernandez was acquitted in a 2012 double slaying prosecutors said was fueled by an argument over a spilled drink.

The jury found him not guilty of first-degree murder in the killings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado – but convicted him of unlawful possession of gun.

Before his acquittal, Hernandez was seen smiling and blowing kisses in the courtroom to the 4-year-old girl he fathered with his fiancée, Shayanna Jenkins. The father and daughter exchanged waves during the sweet moment.

The judge sentenced him to an additional four to five years in prison, separate from his existing life sentence, for that conviction.

Prosecutors said Hernandez opened fire on their car because he felt disrespected when one of the men bumped into him and spilled his drink at a Boston nightclub.

The defense team pointed the finger at Alexander Bradley, a close friend of Hernandez who was with him the night of the shootings.

Hernandez also was acquitted last week of shooting Bradley in the face months later to try to silence him as a witness.

Bradley claimed Hernandez became enraged after de Abreu bumped into him while dancing, spilling his drink. He said Hernandez later opened fire on the men’s car as they waited at a stoplight.

About six weeks after Furtado and de Abreu were killed, Hernandez signed a five-year, $40 million contract extension with the Patriots that included a $12.5 million bonus and went on to play another season before Lloyd was killed.

He was cut from the team shortly after he was arrested in Lloyd’s June 2013 killing. He was not charged in the 2012 killings until 2014.

In his first trial, jurors deliberated for 36 hours over seven days before convicting him of murder. Jurors in the trial that concluded Friday deliberated for about 37 hours.

Last week, Pats coach Bill Belichick used the word “tragic” to describe his former player during a CNBC word-association interview.

“It’s a sad day. It’s really a sad day on so many levels. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, with the victim. I express my sympathy with everyone that’s been impacted. A young man has lost his life, a family has suffered a tragic loss,” Belichick said after Hernandez was arrested in 2013, The Washington Post reported.

The Bristol, Conn., native played for the University of Florida, and then for the Patriots from 2010 to 2012, when he scored a touchdown in Super Bowl XLVI in a loss to the New York Giants.

“He was really intelligent, and that’s why he was such a pain in the [butt],” a former University of Florida staffer told NFL.com in 2014, the Washington Post reported.

“He knew how to beat the system on everything.”

© 2017, . All rights reserved.

Sports

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she’s too ‘physical’ to compete against biological females

Published

on

The Australian Football Women’s League has denied an application of a transgender soccer player because she’s too ‘physical’ to compete against biological females.

Hannah Mouncey, 27, a former member of the Australian men’s handball team, started “transitioning” in 2015 and ever since then she has participated in other Australian Football competitions against bio women.

She recently applied for the 2018 AFLW draft but her application was rejected, denying her the chance to take part in next year’s Australian rules football professional women’s league.

In its decision, the subcommittee said Mouncey, would have “an unreasonable advantage” over the smaller

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she

“The AFL has made a decision that the physical disparity between Hannah and other AFLW players is significant, in that it would have an effect on the AFLW competition and give rise to an unreasonable advantage,” an AFL statement read.

The subcommittee added: “This decision solely relates to Ms. Mouncey’s nomination for the 2018 AFLW draft and participation in the 2018 AFLW competition. Ms. Mouncey may nominate for future AFLW drafts and for registration in other Australian Football competitions.”

Reacting after her application was rejected, Mouncey said she was “extremely disappointed”.

“While I am extremely disappointed with the AFL’s decision regarding my participation in Wednesday’s AFLW draft, I thank them for the genuine way in which they approached my situation.

“Despite not being able to take part in the draft, the AFL has given me the all clear to play for Ainslie next year in the AFL Canberra competition for which I am very grateful and look forward to doing in 2018, before hopefully being able to nominate for next year’s draft”.

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she

The AFL Players Association (AFLPA) are also not happy with AFL and have accused them of lacking “clear guidelines for transgender players”.

Its statement added: “No athlete should face such confusion around their eligibility for an elite competition just days out from a draft.”

According to BBC, Mouncey, who is 6ft 2in and weighs 15st 8lb, has played eight matches and kicked 17 goals for Ainslie in the Canberra Women’s League.

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Sports

US Olympic gymnast, McKayla Maroney says team doctor started molesting her when she was 13

Published

on

US Olympic gold winning gymnast, McKayla Maroney has alleged that she was molested by a former USA Gymnastics team doctor as she adds her voice to the #MeToo movement on social media where people are sharing experiences of sexual harassment and assault.

 

In a statement released on her Twitter page today, the 21 year old athlete alleged she was molested for years by former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar, who is currently awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to federal child pornography charges.

 

“People should know that this is not just happening in Hollywood,” she wrote, in reference to the allegations about producer Harvey Weinstein. “It started when I was 13 years old, and it didn’t end until I left the sport. I had a dream to go to the Olympics, and the things that I had to endure to get there were unnecessary and disgusting.”

 

Maroney ended her involvement with the sport in 2016

 

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Sports

Leicester City sack manager, Craig Shakespeare

Published

on

Leicester City Football Club has parted ways with its first team manager, Craig Shakespeare.

 

According to the club, Michael Appleton will be in charge of the First Team as Caretaker Manager for Saturday’s Premier League trip to Swansea City, supported by First Team Coaches Mike Stowell and Adam Sadler.

 

Leicester City Vice Chairman, Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said: “Craig has been a great servant to Leicester City during his spells as an Assistant Manager and since taking over as Manager in challenging circumstances in February. His dedication to the Club and to his work has been absolute and the contribution he made to the most successful period in Leicester City history is considerable. However, our early promise under Craig’s management has not been consistently evident in the months since and the Board feels that, regrettably, a change is necessary to keep the Club moving forward consistent with the long-term expectations of our supporters, Board and owners”. 

 

He continued to say, “Craig is and will remain a very popular, respected figure at Leicester City and will be welcome back at King Power Stadium in future, both professionally and as a friend of the Club.”  

 

The Club will now begin the process of identifying and appointing its next First Team Manager and will make no further comment on the process until the appropriate time.

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Advertisement


“Beautiful Ones (Acoustic)” from Beautiful Ones (Acoustic) – Single by Hurts. Released: 2017. Track 1 of 1. Genre: Pop.

Trending