Connect with us

Sports

FIFA bans highest ranking American From committee for life #CNN

Published

on

FIFA bans highest ranking American From committee for life

GENEVA — Chuck Blazer was banned for life by FIFA’s ethics committee on Thursday for widespread corruption, finally ending the career of the longtime most senior American in world football.

The ban from all football-related duties was a formality after Blazer, a former FIFA executive committee member, pleaded guilty to racketeering and tax evasion charges was unsealed in May by United States federal agencies.

FIFA’s ethics panel made its ruling using evidence from the American federal case, which has plunged FIFA and international football into crisis.

“(Blazer) was a key player in schemes involving the offer, acceptance, payment and receipt of undisclosed and illegal payments, bribes and kickbacks as well as other money-making schemes,” the FIFA ethics committee said in a statement.

Blazer pleaded guilty to 10 counts including racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies and income tax evasion.

He admitted receiving payments in a $10 million bribe scheme to support South Africa’s successful bid to host the 2010 World Cup. The plot linked Blazer and two other then-FIFA executive committee members in receiving cash which South African officials asked FIFA to transfer through the governing body’s accounts in 2008.

Blazer also admitted involvement in World Cup ticket scams and abusing his position as CONCACAF general secretary to take millions of dollars in kickbacks from commercial deals he negotiated for the Gold Cup tournament.

He was a cooperating witness with United States federal agencies since 2011 after his tax affairs were investigated.

For 16 years through 2013, Blazer served on FIFA’s policy-making executive committee chaired by President Sepp Blatter since 1998.

Blatter again used his weekly column in FIFA’s in-house weekly magazine on Thursday to distance himself from Blazer and other past and current officials among 18 men indicted or who have already pleaded guilty in the widening U.S. federal investigation.

“I bear no responsibility for members of a government (the FIFA Executive Committee) I have not myself elected,” Blatter wrote. “I therefore also bear no responsibility whatsoever for the behavior of these ExCo members on their home turf.”

Still, Blatter is a confirmed target for American prosecutors who likely want to question the FIFA boss about whether he knew of the alleged South African bribes and allowed the scheme to happen.

Blazer had risen to power at CONCACAF, the regional football body governing North and Central America and the Caribbean, alongside its disgraced former president Jack Warner. It was Warner who controlled bank accounts which received the $10 million of South African money from FIFA. Blazer told US investigators that Warner promised him a $1 million share but paid only $750,000.

FIFA opened an ethics investigation against Blazer after the corrupt financial management of CONCACAF was exposed in 2012.

The FIFA proceedings were suspended in 2013 due to Blazer’s ill-health and while the U.S. federal case developed.

Blazer, now 70, told a Brooklyn court in November 2013 that he had been treated for rectal cancer.

He forfeited more than $1.9 million at the time of his plea and has agreed to pay more when he is sentenced.

Charming and ebullient, Blazer was a central figure in FIFA’s lurid recent history and the breakdown of his relationship with Warner was a key turning point.

During the dual World Cup bidding races in 2010, Blazer posted pictures on his travel blog of meeting in Moscow with Vladimir Putin before Russia won 2018 hosting rights.

Blazer supported the United States bid which eventually lost the 2022 contest to Qatar. He famously questioned Qatar’s credentials before he and his FIFA executive committee colleagues voted, saying of the hot temperatures there that “I don’t see how you can air-condition an entire country.”

Five months later, Qatari candidate Mohamed bin Hammam seemed poised to threaten Sepp Blatter’s hold on the FIFA presidency when he visited Warner’s native Trinidad to meet Caribbean voters.

Blazer had primed some delegates to gather evidence of suspicious behavior, then turned whistleblower by handing FIFA a dossier which alleged a bribery plot.

Warner was forced out of football by his right-hand man’s work and Bin Hammam never returned to football before resigning ahead of a second life ban by FIFA.

The fallout of the election bribery scandal saw Blazer’s personal finances investigated and CONCACAF self-report to the Internal Revenue Service over a failure to file accounts for several years.

Blazer resigned from CONCACAF before he could be fired, and in April 2013 a three-man investigation panel delivered a damning report of financial mismanagement in the Warner-Blazer era.

At FIFA, Blazer let his final term as an executive committee member expire in May 2013 before exiting and awaiting his judgment on federal crimes.

© 2015, . All rights reserved.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sports

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she’s too ‘physical’ to compete against biological females

Published

on

The Australian Football Women’s League has denied an application of a transgender soccer player because she’s too ‘physical’ to compete against biological females.

Hannah Mouncey, 27, a former member of the Australian men’s handball team, started “transitioning” in 2015 and ever since then she has participated in other Australian Football competitions against bio women.

She recently applied for the 2018 AFLW draft but her application was rejected, denying her the chance to take part in next year’s Australian rules football professional women’s league.

In its decision, the subcommittee said Mouncey, would have “an unreasonable advantage” over the smaller

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she

“The AFL has made a decision that the physical disparity between Hannah and other AFLW players is significant, in that it would have an effect on the AFLW competition and give rise to an unreasonable advantage,” an AFL statement read.

The subcommittee added: “This decision solely relates to Ms. Mouncey’s nomination for the 2018 AFLW draft and participation in the 2018 AFLW competition. Ms. Mouncey may nominate for future AFLW drafts and for registration in other Australian Football competitions.”

Reacting after her application was rejected, Mouncey said she was “extremely disappointed”.

“While I am extremely disappointed with the AFL’s decision regarding my participation in Wednesday’s AFLW draft, I thank them for the genuine way in which they approached my situation.

“Despite not being able to take part in the draft, the AFL has given me the all clear to play for Ainslie next year in the AFL Canberra competition for which I am very grateful and look forward to doing in 2018, before hopefully being able to nominate for next year’s draft”.

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she

The AFL Players Association (AFLPA) are also not happy with AFL and have accused them of lacking “clear guidelines for transgender players”.

Its statement added: “No athlete should face such confusion around their eligibility for an elite competition just days out from a draft.”

According to BBC, Mouncey, who is 6ft 2in and weighs 15st 8lb, has played eight matches and kicked 17 goals for Ainslie in the Canberra Women’s League.

Transgender soccer player has her application denied because she

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Sports

US Olympic gymnast, McKayla Maroney says team doctor started molesting her when she was 13

Published

on

US Olympic gold winning gymnast, McKayla Maroney has alleged that she was molested by a former USA Gymnastics team doctor as she adds her voice to the #MeToo movement on social media where people are sharing experiences of sexual harassment and assault.

 

In a statement released on her Twitter page today, the 21 year old athlete alleged she was molested for years by former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar, who is currently awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to federal child pornography charges.

 

“People should know that this is not just happening in Hollywood,” she wrote, in reference to the allegations about producer Harvey Weinstein. “It started when I was 13 years old, and it didn’t end until I left the sport. I had a dream to go to the Olympics, and the things that I had to endure to get there were unnecessary and disgusting.”

 

Maroney ended her involvement with the sport in 2016

 

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Sports

Leicester City sack manager, Craig Shakespeare

Published

on

Leicester City Football Club has parted ways with its first team manager, Craig Shakespeare.

 

According to the club, Michael Appleton will be in charge of the First Team as Caretaker Manager for Saturday’s Premier League trip to Swansea City, supported by First Team Coaches Mike Stowell and Adam Sadler.

 

Leicester City Vice Chairman, Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said: “Craig has been a great servant to Leicester City during his spells as an Assistant Manager and since taking over as Manager in challenging circumstances in February. His dedication to the Club and to his work has been absolute and the contribution he made to the most successful period in Leicester City history is considerable. However, our early promise under Craig’s management has not been consistently evident in the months since and the Board feels that, regrettably, a change is necessary to keep the Club moving forward consistent with the long-term expectations of our supporters, Board and owners”. 

 

He continued to say, “Craig is and will remain a very popular, respected figure at Leicester City and will be welcome back at King Power Stadium in future, both professionally and as a friend of the Club.”  

 

The Club will now begin the process of identifying and appointing its next First Team Manager and will make no further comment on the process until the appropriate time.

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Advertisement


“Beautiful Ones (Acoustic)” from Beautiful Ones (Acoustic) – Single by Hurts. Released: 2017. Track 1 of 1. Genre: Pop.

Trending