Connect with us

News

General- US airstrike on hospital was requested by Afghans.

Published

on

WASHINGTON — Afghan forces who reported being under Taliban fire requested the US airstrike that killed 22 people at a medical clinic in northern Afghanistan over the weekend, the top commander of American and coalition forces in Afghanistan said Monday, correcting an initial US statement that the strike had been launched because US forces were threatened.

The strike wasn’t sought by US forces, Gen. John F. Campbell said at a hastily arranged Pentagon news conference.

“We have now learned that on Oct. 3, Afghan forces advised that they were taking fire from enemy positions and asked for air support from US forces,” Campbell said. “An airstrike was then called to eliminate the Taliban threat and several civilians were accidentally struck. This is different from the initial reports which indicated that US forces were threatened and that the airstrike was called on their behalf.”

The clinic was operated by the medical charity Doctors Without Borders. The attack killed at least 22 people and wounded dozens more, setting the hospital on fire.

In response to Campbell’s remarks, the organization’s general director, Christopher Stokes, said the US had admitted that it attacked the facility.

“The US military remains responsible for the targets it hits, even though it is part of a coalition,” Stokes said. “There can be no justification for this horrible attack. With such constant discrepancies in the US and Afghan accounts of what happened, the need for a full transparent independent investigation is ever more critical.”

US Army Gen. John F. Campbell, top commander of US and coalition forces in Afghanistan, speaks at a ceremony in July 2015.

Commander of Resolute Support forces and United States forces in Afghanistan, U.S. Army General John F. Campbell speaks during a change of command ceremony in FOB Oqab, Kabul, Afghanistan

On Sunday, NATO, under whose umbrella the US-led coalition operates in Afghanistan, issued a statement saying US forces had conducted an airstrike against “insurgents who were directly firing upon US service members” who were advising Afghan forces in Kunduz. The statement also said NATO was undertaking a preliminary assessment of the incident by a multi-national “casualty assessment team,” and that it would produce initial results “in a matter of days.”

The US military is doing its own standard investigation under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Campbell’s revised account does not clarify whether the clinic was targeted in error or whether US military personnel followed procedure. They are required to verify that the target of the requested airstrike is valid before firing. Asked about those procedures, Campbell said he would not discuss the rules of engagement under which US forces operate.

“If errors were committed, we will acknowledge them,” Campbell said. “We’ll hold those responsible accountable and we’ll take steps to ensure mistakes are not repeated.”

Asked whether he could confirm in general terms whether hospitals and other civilian facilities like mosques and schools are off limits to US airstrikes, Campbell replied, “Very broadly, we do not strike those kind of targets, absolutely.”

He declined to say who authorized the strike. He said it was carried out by an AC-130 gunship, which is an Air Force special operations aircraft sometimes used against close-range ground targets. The aircraft is armed with side-firing weapons including 40mm and 105mm cannons and a 25mm Gatling gun.

Campbell declined to provide more details, saying military investigations by the US as well as Afghanistan are ongoing. He said he learned from the US military’s lead investigator that it was the Afghans, not the Americans, who requested the airstrike.

Kunduz has been the scene of heavy fighting in recent days. The Taliban captured the city earlier this month, but Afghan forces retook it after several days. Clashes were still under way between government forces and the Taliban on the city’s outskirts Monday, according to Khosh Mohammad, a member of the Kunduz provincial council.

Campbell, whose headquarters is in Kabul, was in Washington on Monday because he is testifying before two congressional committees this week. He noted that the Kunduz airstrike happened one day after a US C-130 cargo plane crashed at an air base in northern Afghanistan, killing all six US crew members as well as five civilian passengers.

Campbell said the bodies of the six C-130 crew members were scheduled to arrive at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware, on Monday.

Campbell is expected to testify about his recommendations on the future of the US military mission in Afghanistan. A key question is whether President Barack Obama will alter his plan for reducing the US troop presence from its current level of about 9,800 to leave only an embassy-based security cooperation office after 2016.

Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Monday the US intends to continue a military presence after 2016, adding, “it’s not a matter of whether but how many and how.”

Speaking during a press conference in Madrid, Carter said, “The president and all the rest of us continue to respond to and adjust to circumstances there and I expect that will continue.”

He said the Pentagon is providing options to the White House and Obama will be making decisions about future force levels later this fall.

 

© 2015, . All rights reserved.

News

Remember the freak couple caught having sex on the counter at Dominos Pizza shop? They have been sentenced…lol

Published

on

Remember the British couple caught having sex on the counter of Dominos Pizza shop some months ago? Well, they went on trial this week for breaking local public decency laws.

 

The woman is a bartender named Daniella Hirst and her boyfriend is Craig Smith. They were found guilty in court yesterday and sentenced to a fine and community service. They will not serve any jail time.

Remember the freak couple caught having sex on the counter at Dominos Pizza shop? They have been sentenced...lol

 

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

News

President Buhari, wife Aisha and daughter Hanan meet Turkish president and his wife

Published

on

President Buhari, his wife Mrs AIsha Buhari and daughter Halima joined President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey and his wife Mrs Ermine Erdogan in a group photo during the Official Working Visit at the Presidential Palace Ankara Turkey today October 19th.  President Buhari joined by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey also met Nigerian Footballer William Ekong who resides in Turkey.  President Buhari and his wife Mrs AIsha Buhari with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey accompanied by his wife Mrs Ermine Erdogan joined by Speaker of the Turkish Grand National Assembly Ismail Karahman during a Luncheon hosted in honor of President Buhari. See more photos below

Photos: President Buhari, wife Aisha and daughter Hanan meet Turkish president and his wife

Photos: President Buhari, wife Aisha and daughter Hanan meet Turkish president and his wife

Photos: President Buhari, wife Aisha and daughter Hanan meet Turkish president and his wife

Photos: President Buhari, wife Aisha and daughter Hanan meet Turkish president and his wife

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

News

Donald Trump is a “foul-mouthed man who pretends to be an idiot” – Iran’s Supreme leader, Ayatollah

Published

on

Reacting to US President, Donald Trump’s intention to decertify the Iran nuclear deal, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, has described Trump as “foul-mouthed” and someone who “pretends to be an idiot.”

 

He spoke before a group of what was described by his office as “hundreds of young elites and outstanding scientific talents” saying that the European opposition to Trump’s decision was “good, but not enough.”

 

“The Europeans must stand up against the US measures including the sanctions they anticipate to emerge from Congress,” he said.

 

Khamenei told his audience that he didn’t want to spend his time commenting on Trump saying “it would be a waste of time to respond to such blatherings and nonsensical remarks by the foul-mouthed US President who pretends to be an idiot, but this should not cause us to let our guard down. They want to take back young, faithful and developed Iran to 50 years ago, and of course this is not possible, but due to backwardness, they are incapable of understanding this reality, and for this reason they have made a miscalculation and suffered, and will suffer successive defeats at the hands of the Iranian nation,” he said.

© 2017, Ikrueyen Vickky. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Advertisement


“Beautiful Ones (Acoustic)” from Beautiful Ones (Acoustic) – Single by Hurts. Released: 2017. Track 1 of 1. Genre: Pop.

Trending